Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's Not Only The Music

I don't mean to brag about anything, I'm just writing this for people to know what I had gained after those years of practice, 2 years of carrying that piece of wood on my back walking from part to part in the Muscat.. I'm going to try to explain how guitars changed my life completely..


First I'd like to thank my music teachers, Abdulla Hammad, Joseph Gladston and Azzam Al-Raisi.. Even though they will probably not be able to read this post, I have to thank them as I owe it all to them, they had the time to help me practice, giving me the shortcuts and easy ways through learning this instrument.. And since the guitar has changed my life, then I can say that they are the ones who had changed it..

Learning music made me appreciate many talents, it made me think twice before judging a band or a singer, it made me listen to some types of music that I never liked, plus it pulled me away from the types of music that had no talents at all, the funny thing is that the no talent music used to be my favorite.. So anyhow, it simply pointed me in the correct direction when it comes to bands and musicians..



Playing the guitar isn't just about putting your fingers on the guitar neck and hitting some strings, no not at all, playing the guitar is about a person writing down his emotions and thoughts on notes. As through this person's mood, the music he creates in a curtain mood differs than the music he creates in another..
The guitarist doesn't really feel that what he is playing is somehow connected to his mind and emotion, he just holds the guitar and plays, but what mostly confuses musicians is the fact that sometimes when they try to play then notice that they are the worst ever, as if they had lost the feeling of the music, and sometimes they enjoy it to the level that they don't want to let go, not knowing that all this is built on what they are actually thinking about in that moment, or how much stress there is on their minds..
This explains why expert bands would prefer drinking alcohol or getting high on something before their concert or when they want to write down music notes or lyrics, you noticed?

This is not all, there is another important point that not everybody knows about.. Do you know any musicians? Try to think of a person you know very well who has been playing for at least 2 - 3 years.. Look at the personality of that person, you will sense something good in this person, you will notice that he/she has a clean heart, a good nature, but not necessarily a clean brain. This is one of the effects that playing an instrument has on a person, I'm not sure why this thing happens, but it does. Music somehow softens the heart. After many years of practice on an instrument, this person becomes very good deep inside, the outside personality may be different though, as it depends on the way this person grew up..
So you want your children/younger brothers to be good natured? Learning music would be one of the ways..


I am saying all this out of my own personal experience, after meeting tens of musicians on the road, looking at each and every personality; I don't recall seeing hate or anger in any of them..

One more thing..

They say.. Musicians are usually good in math, why? Because the part of their brain that is being powered up by music is also responsible for solving mathematical formulas...

-Solidus


7 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger TripleTee said...

Now that sounded like more than just a hobby... but I understand perfectly what you're on about... I get the same feeling when I play the piano... the songs I compose are always based on my mood...
some time ago I played only when I was feeling down... so you'll notice that most of the tunes are low and sad... including...(scary ones)... I hope to be able to load it on the pc one day.

Btw... I love guitars... can't play it but love the sound of it... you play normal or electric?... whatever it is... I think you have it in you ;)so keep that passion going man :D...

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Solidus said...

Hey T.. You play the piano? Kewl! We can make our own band :D

I play all types (Acoustic, Electric, Spanish).. Indeed the sad and scary notes are usually minor chords or so, and they need that SPECIAL mood..

I love music :-D

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Solidus said...

Indeed, that is what arts is all about, the feeling inside.. That is why it is called "arts"..

But unfortunatly, people get carried away and look at it as a waste of time..

Welcome to my blog Lesser Being.. :)

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Solidus said...

LOL! The art of swearing is different man..! It doesn't need a good mood.. It needs the worst mood ever, someone's um should be on fire..! lol

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Meticulousness said...

Though, am still learning how to play guitar here. Learned how to play 'Fade To Black' by Metallica lol

That was pretty easy even though am new to guitars. Might take a course if I had the chance to.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Solidus said...

Ooo..! Mysti I didn't know you could play.. Nice nice.. Soon I'll try to find a way to submit me playing fade to black in this site..

And hey, glad to see you've stopped by.. :)

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Meticulousness said...

Not that I learned how to play the whole song. Its just the starting theme. lol

Wish I knew all the basics though.
You're welcome buddy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
     
 
 
     
 
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • solidus_m88@hotmail.com